[TriLUG] Does JVM use the TCP/IP stack when talking through 1 27.0.0.1 to a nother JVM?

Smith, Brett bsmith at bloodhoundinc.com
Wed Jun 9 13:31:48 EDT 2004

Thanks...

> Smith, Brett wrote:
> > Does JVM use the TCP/IP stack when talking through
> 127.0.0.1 to another JVM?
> > This is over my head but a developer needs the answer so
> don't flame if I am
> > way off.
>
> I'm not expert either, but I deal with Java networking code nearly
> every day.  <disclaimer> Still, I could be wrong </disclaimer>
>
> You might consider asking on the JUGlist:
>    email:Juglist at trijug.org

Hate to double post

> > JVM > socket > 127.0.0.1 > socket > JVM
>
> yes, that is how it works.

Ok so does it go like this is what I should have asked
JVM > socket > TCP/IP > 127.0.0.1 > TCP/IP > socket > JVM
or this
JVM > socket > 127.0.0.1 > socket > JVM

> > If it does is there a way not to use the full TCP/IP stack in Linux.
>
> I don't see how.  The JVM relies on the underlying OS for these
> functions.
>
> > I have been told that windows does not it talks directly to
> the other JVM
> > socket.
>
> I have never heard of such a thing, but I doubt it.  How would it know
> which one to talk to?  There could be multiple 'other' JVMs,
> all listening
> on different ports.  I have seen no indication of this behavior.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipients(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information of Bloodhound Software, Inc.. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.