[TriLUG] Now this is wacky

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Jun 11 10:18:35 EDT 2004

Hi LUGgers,
  Now this is one that has me really confused.  I bet there is something
simple to fix it, but I don't know what it is.  Here's the deal:  (FC2 on
i686, /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc)

ln -s /path/to/a/mounted/cdrom /home/me

shows up as a *regular file* in Windows via Samba.

The really funky part:
If the target of the link (ex /mnt/cdrom) is *unmounted* (ie. umount
/mnt/cdrom) , the link shows as a folder in Windows.  But after mounting
(i.e. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom) and refreshing the Windows Explorer view,
it shows as, and is treated like, a file (that is, Windows tries to open it
as a file instead of a directory).

Is there some sort of configuration in Samba that affects links to mounted
CDROM devices?

I'd rather not publicly share /mnt/cdrom if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com