[TriLUG] Re: FC2 upgrade and pop3

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Fri Jun 11 19:52:06 EDT 2004

Brian A. Henning wrote:
> Also by default, FC2 doesn't load dovecot at startup.  Add a symbolic link
> to /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot in each rcN.d for the runlevels in which you
> want dovecot to be started, called S??dovecot, where ?? is the ordinal for
> when to launch the program in the startup sequence.  That is a confusing
> paragraph that means this:
> For example, if you boot to runlevel 5 by default (X is running):
> # su
> root# cd /etc/rc5.d
> root# ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot S70dovecot
>
> The number after the S is not terribly important, as long as it is greater
> than the numbers of the links that start your network services, firewall,
> etc.  I chose 70 because it is between xinetd (S56xinetd) and sendmail
> (S80sendmail).

Check out the chkconfig program.  It's designed by Red Hat to manage
what services are started in specific runlevels.

root# chkconfig dovecot on

turns on the dovecot service in the default runlevels specified by
config information at the top of /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot.

--[Lance]

--
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/