[TriLUG] WEP, Debian, and me again

Sam Kalat samkalat at sneakrets.com
Mon Jun 14 10:49:12 EDT 2004

I had a bit of pain getting my wireless card (Dell TrueMobile 1150) to work
under Debian after relying on 'neat' in RedHat.  My memory is a bit fuzzy but
I think this is what it took:

in /etc/network/interfaces, setup to use DHCP:
iface eth1 inet dhcp

in /etc/modules.conf, the module I use (previously was modprobing it every
time I used the card):
alias eth1 orinoco_cs

At a loss for where else to put it, I made a small script to call (well, with
an actual key and SSID):
#!/bin/sh
iwconfig eth1 key 0000000000000000000000000
iwconfig eth1 essid "MySSID"

I run that and do 'ifup eth1' and it works.  I bet there is a more elegant and
approved method, but I didn't know where to look for one.  Does that help?

Sam