[TriLUG] what happened to static-routes ?

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 16 10:53:50 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:57:31AM -0400, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> Hi all.  I have wondered from time to time why configuration files are
> located in one place or another, and why this location isn't more
> consistent between ditributions.

It is associated with Linux initialization which seems to be a place
where creativity and diversity has flourished.  The sysv init system
allows and even promotes these conditions.  The actual initialization
work is performed by scripts found in /etc/init.d (in Debian that is).
RH and Debian differ in where the the rc.x symbolic links to the
/etc/init.d scripts are located.

I recently spent lots of time comparing Knoppix sysv init and
Debian sysv init. The init scripts were worlds apart.

> Here is an example.  In Redhat 9 static routes are stored in the file
> aptly named static-routes found under /etc/sysconfig.  In RHAS 3 this
> same information is stored under /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices in an
> interface specific file like eth0.route
>
> I can see the benefit of associating static routes to specific
> interfaces, but why not just do that in one file?  This isn't a big
> deal, but if anyone knows WHY this was done I'd enjoy hearing the tale.
> I'm also just generally curious about how these kinds of decisions come
> to be.

Many minds make for much diversity.  It's always interesting to hear
very intelligent people argue about the Best Way (tm) to do something.
It's like asking what's the best art or music or sport.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.