[TriLUG] Mandrake 9.2 kernel install clobbers grub config!?

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 17 01:06:14 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I've had a box running Mandrake 9.2 that has been stable for a very long
time. I went though the effort today to make sure that it's update
mirror was current and then did a 'urpmi --auto-select' to upgrade the
system.

While I was at it I decided to install a more current kernel. I used the
command 'urpmi kernel-2.4.22.32mdk-1-1mdk'. Everything appeared to go
fine. Luckly for me I decided to see which kernel it would boot into the
next time the system was restarted (93 days so far). That's when I
noticed that ALL of my grub configuration files were missing!

Does anyone know of any issues with installing a new kernel in Mandrake
9.2, or how to easily regenerate the missing grub files? I think I may
have a tarball of the old files, but I'm not sure. This is the first
time I've tried to upgrade a kernel on a Mandrake box. I've never had a
problem on a RedHat system when I've performed a kernel upgrade.

Any thoughts..... BTW I'm praying for no serious power failures until
I can resolve this issue. Since this is my gateway box I would be cut
off from the internet if goes down.

-Weave