[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu Jun 17 09:46:22 EDT 2004

Aaron Bockover wrote:
> While I *really* don't care for C# or VB, I certainly respect the work
> being done in the Mono area for .NET support.
>
> (snip)
>
> Happy .NETting? :-/ I'll stick to C :-)

Have fun with your pointers!  I'll be shifting any new development work
to a language in which I don't have to worry about memory management.
C#, though I despised it at first, may fit the bill.  VB .Net doesn't
seem like a real language to me.  Java, though I prefer it, is not well
supported under Linux (unfortunately, but gjc 3.4 should change that).
Perl and PHP are great, but can't be compiled (without expensive third
party tools).  Python is collapsing in on itself (according to some whom
I respect).  I do know that I'm tired of tracking down memory leaks.

If there's a language that I should be learning, let me know.  I'm
taking a look at XUL right now to see if that is useful.  Am I giving
Python an unfair judgement?  Is there a memory management plugin for
C/C++ (though that would defeat the purpose)?

Joseph
C/C++, Java, Perl, PHP, VB, InstallScript, Bash, Batch, and PL/SQL developer