[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Jun 17 11:14:42 EDT 2004

Joseph Tate wrote:
> Also, as a kind of watermark: Occasionally I'll log into the Durham
> County Library System's web catalog system (a Java applet deployed via
> browser).  It's relatively quick using IE and MSJVM, but it's slower
> than molasses on a cold day in FireFox using a Sun supplied JRE in
> either Windows or Linux.  Could be Mozilla's fault, but it's
> unacceptable.  Oh, and Eclipse?  The last Milestone 3.0 release doesn't
> run with IBM's Java.  It requires the Sun JDK.  Talk about screwball.

Another data point:  I just logged into the Durham County Library
catalog.  Took about 10 seconds to fully activate, searching for
author and drilling down to a book description has been quick and
easy.  I'm running Fedora Core 1 with Blackdown Java-Linux j2sdk1.4.2
in Firefox 0.8.

--[Lance]
--
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/