[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Thu Jun 17 12:14:18 EDT 2004

One of the major problems that I've found with Java on Linux is the
availability of java compilers for computers other than x86. I know
that there is the blackdown port for PowerPC, but this is the extent
of non-x86 Java that I've found. Gcj, as far as I know might work on
another architecture or two (it needs some assembly code to be written
for each platform it builds on). But, the problem with the free
versions of Java is that they don't support anything graphical (jast
time I checked). I have to default to using either Sun's or
Blackdown's java packages. (And I've found a quite nice script to
generate Debian packages from the Sun JDK downloads.)

-Nathan