[TriLUG] sendmail vs. postfix - was Re: stupid sendmail question?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 17 12:43:40 EDT 2004

Venema does indeed caution this, but the fact is that the milter on Sendmail
can cause a drag on performance as well.  As to how much of a drag on each
one, I can't say.  The fact is that none of us, to my knowledge, have ever
tried to scale Postfix to extreme levels, but I'd be interested to hear from
some party who has tried to do so.  Perhaps we could ask Weitse if he knows
of anyone who has tried, and what level of success they have experienced.

Nonetheless, for the purposes of this group, it's safe to say that for large
enterprise, heavy-load mail services which require spam and/or anti-virus
filters, Sendmail has and will be the 500lb gorilla in the room.  But for
the majority of us, with low-load and/or intermediate level mail relays, MX
servers, or even spam and anti-virus filters, Postfix is a very viable
option, with some advantages for the newer user over the occasionally
confusing Sendmail in terms of configuration and ease of installation.  I'm
using Postfix for my wife's home business in conjunction with SpamAssassin,
with pretty reasonable success.

In other news, it might interest some of you who haven't yet read it to
check out the following article over at freshmeat.net that does some testing
and reviews on a number of common spam filter, including SpamAssassin,
Spastic, dbacl, Bayesian Mail Filter, and others:

	http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/964/

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--