[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Jun 17 18:56:07 EDT 2004

Jon Carnes wrote:
> I think you are giving Pyton a bad rap. Python rules!
>
> I used to program in C and Perl but now I'm a firm convert to Python.
> Learning Python was a Piece of cake compared to either C or Perl.
> Programing in Python is rapid and easy.

Python is cool.  The syntax is nice, but I've not been able to
overcome two things:

1.  I've been writing PERL since 1990 and know it better than I know C
now-days.  I don't have the ingrained knowledge of Python yet that I'd
like to have for use in production coding.

2.  CPAN.  CPAN just rocks.  Just about anytime I come across an "I
need to do X" situation, I look at CPAN and there is a module that
does X.  Download/install/read perldocs and off I go.  Python doesn't
have the vast array of contributed modules yet to match the utility of
CPAN.

I really need to spend more time on #1.  I think #2 is just a matter
of waiting for people to contribute more.

--[Lance]
--
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/