[TriLUG] Re: Managed languages (was .NET development on Linux)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sat Jun 19 03:26:55 EDT 2004

Phillip Rhodes said the following on 6/17/04 5:25 PM:

> Joseph Tate wrote:
>
>>  Is there a memory management plugin for C/C++ (though that would
>> defeat the purpose)?
>

> Ok, first a nit-pick...I wish people wouldn't write
> "C slash C++".  That implies that they are the same
> language, and they're really not.
>
> It *used* to be the case that you could effectively
> consider C++ a proper superset of C, but with the latest
> rev of the C standard, the languages have diverged
> enough that it makes sense to quit referring to them
> as though they were the same.
>
> Having said that...  Memory management in C++ is made
> much simpler by using smart pointers... Google sometime
> for "C++ smart pointer" or just "auto_ptr" and read
> some of the stuff that's out there...

Phil,

I was right there with you until you mentioned "auto_ptr".
auto_ptr is the worst example of a "smart pointer" there is.
If you want to see a decent smart pointer go to the
Boost Library (http://www.boost.org/) and look at some
of the ones there which are much more useful than auto_ptr.

Cheers,
Tanner