[TriLUG] SpamAssassin Minimum Requirements

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Tue Jun 22 19:11:42 EDT 2004

Hey TriLUG,

Motivated by the earlier discussions on SpamAssassin, and the fact that
I will be traveling in July and won't be able to check my mail via my
usual mail client (which has already learned the types of spam I get
and does an excellent job of filtering) I decided to install
SpamAssassin. However, the system that I'm installing SA on is rather
old -- a 266 MHz Pentium with 64 MB of RAM running mandrake Linux. Is
this system just plain too old for SpamAssassin? (it's also running
Postfix) At the moment, I installed SA and it seems to run fine (it's
only filtering mail for myself, although I do receive an awful lot of
email). The server only seems to have problems when I run sa-learn, and
even then it still runs, it just gets very slow. Any thoughts on
whether or not this machine is adequate, or if not, where I could get a
better one? (I'm looking for very cheap :)

-Josh