[TriLUG] asterisk meeting last saturday

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Wed Jun 23 08:55:21 EDT 2004

John Turner wrote:

> Just to be clear here. The Connect service from VoicePulse that one uses
> with Asterisk includes unlimited local calling outgoing?  I know the SIP
> service they sell has free local calling. The connect.voicepulse.com web
> site just doesn't say that!

The Connect service VoicePulse offers is the only one that works with
Asterisk (or SIP devices that VoicePulse doesn't provision, for that
matter). For the Connect service, ALL outgoing calls go out at the rate
of 2.9 cents a minute. Thus, if you want cheaper local dialing, you
should choose another outgoing SIP provider (I've tried IConnectHere and
don't recommend them, in spite of their 1.5 cents offering).

Another promising company is Broadvoice (www.broadvoice.com), which
offers a "Bring Your Own Device" plan
(http://www.broadvoice.com/rateplans_byod.html ). Seems perfect for
Asterisk, since it's $5.95 per month for a DID and 100 minutes of
outbound (after 100, it's 3.9 cents/min). What's best is that you can
upgrade to the higher plans (unlimited in-state for $10/month) without
the set-up fee that goes to purchasing the SIP device.

Broadvoice also has super-responsive support staff. If you've got a
question, you'll get an answer right away.

Only drawback is that Broadvoice isn't available yet in North Carolina.
They claim by the end of the summer. They even list Raleigh as a
datacenter on their "about" page: http://www.broadvoice.com/company.html

Perhaps if enough TriLUGgers expressed their interest in polite emails
or phone calls, Broadvoice would accelerate their presence here. Any takers?

--
Mark Turner
Siteseers, Inc.
SIP:3100 at pbx.siteseers.com