[TriLUG] Any spots in the Triangle for LAN parties?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Jun 23 09:29:22 EDT 2004

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 23:36, Tom Woods wrote:
>

>>One thing to keep in mind is that LAN parties cost money.  Many LAN
>>party groups charge a small fee to offset the cost.  This may not be
>>alowable by TriLUG bylaws if it is an official TriLUG event...
>>

>They do?  What are the costs (unless you are renting a room) ?
>
>The only thing I could think of would be food/beverages etc. but that
>could easily be handled on a "bring your own and some to share"
>philosophy.
>
>--Jeremy

Often costs for lan parties include the cost of renting a room, the cost
of providing internet access to said room, etc.  Usually Lan parties
that are effective are sponsored by some institution, and avoid these
costs entirely.  Those that have to charge a (even small) fee often
don't fair nearly as well.  The exception to the rule is enormous lan
parties on the scale of thousands of people, which require months of
planning and a team of coordinators and event-management types - but
they draw an entirely different crowd.  They usually do charge something
like $20-$30 entry costs, but that's to recoup the costs of renting
large venues and providing heavy-duty networking equipment (think racks
of switches, and potentially a router or 2 or 4 depending on the size of
your network, dhcp server).

Aaron S. Joyner