[TriLUG] Getting started with PGP/GPG

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Thu Jun 24 07:45:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> I've seen lots of mention about getting keys signed at TriLug events.
> What do I need to do to participate in this. What to I need to bring?

1) Open an account on biglumber.com.  Upload your key there.  State your
city as "Triangle Area".
2) E-mail me and tell me your key is there.  I will add your key to the
TriLUG keyring.
3) State your intent about a day before the meeting to get your new key
signed to try to entice other OpenPGP users to be prepared for a key
signing at the meeting.
4) Take the output of "gpg --fingerprint [keyid]" and print it onto a
bunch of slips of paper or business cards.  Take these with you to the
meeting.

Someone at the meeting should act as a keysigning coordinator and suggest
the protocol to use for completing the key signing.  Preferably it should
be someone who has done a few key signings and has an efficient method
given the number of people involved in the key signing.

Individual key signers may have their own preferred protocol for
exchanging signed keys.  I might suggest considering the key escrow
service provided by biglumber.com which seeks to prevent "deadbeat
keysigners".