[TriLUG] Wifi card weirdness

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Thu Jun 24 08:53:21 EDT 2004

The only way I have ever gotten a wireless card to work 99.9% of the
time via DHCP (assuming there weren't other non-DHCP related problems,
ie. missing wep...) Was to use a personal script like this:

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
sleep 3
/sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid myessid mode Managed channel 6 key MYLONGKEY
/sbin/dhclient eth1
/sbin/dhclient-script

With a dummy ifcfg-eth1 file that looked like the setup for a normal
ethernet wired interface set to DHCP vs static.  That always seems to
pulls dhcp when I need it.  The first ifconfig and sleep commands are
just specific to my card since it has to load up firmware first before
it can be used (Prism54 based card, on fedora core 2).

-David

--
David A. Cafaro
dac(at)cafaro.net