[TriLUG] VoIP SIP MODEM?

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 24 10:08:15 EDT 2004

Perhaps someone on the list can assist.

In a VoIP discussion recently, a question came up:
If I'm using pure VoIP (from IP phones on a LAN, and/or VoIP
software on a PC) but need to connect to a modem, such as on
a BBS system, but don't want to use a kludge like
  PC -> modem -> SIP box -> Internet -> PSTN gateway -> modem -> BBS
what kind of software device would I need for the client end?

I'd google on this, but I don't know what it would be called.

I'm thinking it would be some sort of software driver which
looks like a modem to the kernel and apps but produces
and consumes SIP packets from the ethernet interface which
contain the CODEC-encapsulated analog squalking of a modem.

Is there a name for a beast like this?

--
Steve Holton
sholton at mindspring.com