[TriLUG] Cant su in ssh, please help

Hariharan Gopalan hariom100 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 12:09:12 EDT 2004

I am not able to get to any command line interface as root, and I tried webmin, system > users and gropus and there root has the default shell as /bin/bash

thanks Brian

Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
Not sure what would cause that, so this advice may be completely useless,
but at least I tried..

If you can get to any sort of command-line interface as root, try

usermod -s /bin/bash root

....substituting your favorite shell in place of /bin/bash (if bash isn't
your favorite shell...although it should be ;-) ).

Or, try using Webmin to change the shell option for user root in the
System -> Users and Groups applet.

HTH,
~Brian