[TriLUG] help with Bellsouth DSL static IP

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Jun 26 09:55:35 EDT 2004

Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>

>> I signed up for the Bellsouth enhanced service that gives me 3Mb down
>> and a static IP.  I've got the 3Mb but I can't seem to use the static
>> IP.  I think I know what is wrong but I want to run it by the list
>> because I know that there are some of you that have this thing working.
>>
>> I use the Westell Wirespeed DSL modem and a Linksys firewall/router.
>> Before I got the Westell I had a different modem (that got lightning
>> fried).  In the original setup, before Westell, the Linksys router
>> did the authentication with Bellsouth so the router got an external
>> address.  When the Westell came the instructions were to have _it_ do
>> the authentication and not the router.  So the Westell is what gets
>> the external IP address. So I ping my static IP I am pinging the
>> modem and not the router, which means all of the DMZ Stuff the
>> Linksys offers me is useless because the external world never hits
>> the router on the static IP...
>>
>> Any of this make sense?  I hesitate to go back to router
>> authentication because the connection with the Westell was flaky
>> until I changed.
>

> So, as one solution... <snipped>

I forgot to mention - if you'd like to switch to Intrex DSL you'd get
far superior support and quick logical answers to questions precisely
like this one.  :)  We'd even let you know how things would work
*before* we "upgraded" you and broke your ability to use your static
IP.  :)  And a step farther, we'd be glad to make it a non-issue and let
your modem handle the PPPoE, and then route you another subnet through
that modem, so you'd have a /29 all to yourself (6 usable addresses) for
probably about the same cost you're already paying BellSouth.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner
System Administrator
Intrex.net Internet Services
(919) 573-5488 x102