[TriLUG] Kernel Updates Broke Stuff.. Help!

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sat Jun 26 21:49:33 EDT 2004

Hi All,
  I've never seen a kernel update cause this much trouble, but then
maybe I'm just inexperienced..  Anyhow, here's the deal:

Right now I'm running FC1 with kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.  The most
up-to-date kernel build is 2.4.22-1.2194.  However, when I try to boot
with the .2194 build, modprobe can't find ntfs or freentfs modules, and
X won't start (it just respawns over and over until it gives up..  I
think it's the nvidia module failing to load, but I don't remember
exactly right now).

So..  Why does a kernel update break module loading?  I have to admit
that kernel business is sort of FM to me currently anyway, so I don't
really have much idea what to do or where to start fixing things..

Thanks y'all,
~Brian