[TriLUG] FC2, Dovecot, Squirrelmail = Crash

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Jun 27 13:57:49 EDT 2004

i ran dovecot for a while on my rh9 server, and it would crash from time
to time when i accessed my imap folders with kmail.  ever since i
switched to courier-imap (on mandrake) it has been flawless.

however, i have a client whom i recently (well, eight months ago) set up
with makdrake, courier, and squirrelmail.  during the initial
migration, one of the users had a couple of large mailboxes (thousands
of messages) that would cause squirrelmail to return an out of memory
error, even though they worked fine with a standard imap client.  my
guess is that squirrelmail is trying to sort all of the messages by
name or date or whatever, and hitting a memory wall with apache or php.
not being a web guru, that's the best diagnosis i could come up with,
and it sounds like what your friend is experiencing too.

jason