[TriLUG] FC2 (was: Newbie RH Install Question)

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Tue Jun 29 13:05:48 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:32:06AM -0400, Brian Henning wrote:
>   First of all, if it hasn't already gotten there, RH9 is within spitting
> distance of official end-of-life, which means no more updates from Red Hat.
> Skip it and install Fedora Core 2.

I've installed FC2 here at work, but when I tried to use smbfs to mount
a Windows server, the smbfs kernel module oopsed.  Anyone know of a way
around that?

<rant>
Also, why does Gnome keep stripping out useful features every time they
upgrade?  Like viewports from 1.4 -> 2.0 or edge-flipping, or selecting
other window managers, the "start-here" shortcut, the address bar in
nautilus?  And how many gods do I need to offer sacrifices in order to
get panel to remember everything (or even ANYTHING) after an upgrade?

What are the ICBM coordinates for Meta City?  I have a rock to de-orbit
into them.

Can qt-cups be any closer in look-and-feel to Windows and not be sued?
Why do I need QT on top of Gnome and X11?  Does FC2 feel they cannot
afford a bloat-gap?
</rant>

Sorry about that.  The upgrade from RH9+Ximian to FC2 left a few things
out.  Like yum.

jf
--
John Franklin