fiber optic equipment - was - Re: [TriLUG] bulk lan supplies

Keith Johnson kjohnson at northcarolina.edu
Tue Jun 29 16:15:05 EDT 2004

At 02:35 PM 6/29/2004, you wrote:
><snip>
>Keith: do you have a model number of sku number for you Siecor tool set or
>the Corning connectors?  I'd like to get an idea of what kind of prices
>I'm getting into.

I'd have to dig through our PO logs to find the specific vendor -- we use
quite a few. Estimate of costs would be;
-- Unicam Install tool $400 ( Siecor 2104272-01 )
-- crimper $150 ( Siecor 3201007-01 )
-- cleaver $180 ( Fitel CL-310-VL )
-- stripper $30 ( No-Nik ) various sizes available
-- connectors $10-$15/ea depending on MM or SM (e.g.SC MM connector -
Corning 95-000-41)

There are better versions of some of these tools but a lot depends on how
much fiber work you do and the kind of tolerances you demand. Off the top
of my head one vendor you can look at for prices etc (I haven't bought
anything from them in awhile so I'm not sure how competitive they are
anymore) is FIS ( http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/ ).

>Where do you purchase your bulk fiber?

CSC in Raleigh and AccuTech in Morrisville are two examples. Whatever
vendor you use make sure you inquire about possible discounts if you're a
non-profit or Edu site.

kj