[TriLUG] [OT I guess] Commodore Rolls with the Punches

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Thu Jul 1 01:06:22 EDT 2004

When I was but a wee lad of three years, my family got a Commodore
VIC-20.  Shortly thereafter, I started copying programs out of the
book.  No lessons, no classes; when the other kids were playing ball, I
was having the basics of programming imprinted upon the empty slate of
my mind.

Shortly after we got the Commodore 64, I started taking the things I
inadvertantly learned on the VIC-20 and started writing little proggies
for myself.  It was fun.  I was like 5 or 6 or something.

I still have it somewhere, and I've always said that Commodore would
come back and smack down the likes of Microsoft and Apple and embrace
the Linux world for the empire it will rule.  And they're doing it...
starting with an MP3 player and a game console.

But what struck me as most intriging was the re-releasing of the C64.
http://commodore.net/site/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=3&tabid=4

It's like someone's been cryogenically frozen for 20 years and during
their sleep, they had Microsoft propaganda pumped into their head.  So I
expect the company is just having a little trouble waking up and
catching up with the times, which is why I had to type the three letters
"asp" (eew... twice).  It'll be okay, they'll soon enough fit back into
society and see what changes have been made, and adapt to fit.

Wow it's too late at night for me to be posting to TriLUG.  Sorry.
Ignore this.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Tickle <jtickle at jtsoft.net>