[TriLUG] Application bandwidth analisys

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jul 1 09:42:54 EDT 2004

trilug wrote:

>All,
>
>I need a tool that can analyze the amount of bandwidth an application
>uses in as close to real time as possible. The commercially available
>product that I know of is Compuware's ApplicationVantage.
>
>Does anyone know if such a critter exists in the open source arena?
>
>Thanks
>
>Nick

If you're looking for ballpark numbers, something like gkrellm or
etherape may do the trick.  Gkrellm is something I often run on my
desktop just to keep an eye on the amount of bits flying by, with simple
meters.  If you just want to eyeball it as you work, it's probably the
right tool.  On the other hand if you want something more geared towards
just that task, EtherApe is the best tool that I'm aware of.  I don't
know how sophisticated you can get with Etherape in terms of being able
to analyse that data after the fact, but it can certainly do realtime
graphical display of bandwidth usage, along with numerical statitstical
output.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner