[TriLUG] barcode printers on Linux

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 1 10:50:48 EDT 2004

I have an fun little project to think about for a couple days.  Too bad
it doesn't pay any money...

Anyway, here's the requirement:

1.  printer that prints barcodes onto stickers.  Someone enters the code
      into the system via a php web page and the linux box sends that
      barcode to the printer (all the while logging information into a
MySQL
      database on the back side.... Gotta love LAMP).

2.  The format of the barcode is interesting.  The sticker is designed
to be
       folded over the lip of a manilla envelope so one on side (the
outside)
       the barcode is scannable and readable.  On the inside fold there
is
       other general information.  The sticker that is folded exposes
roughly
       one inch on either side of the fold.

Has anyone seen a system like this already in production?  I'm
google'ing
now but haven't come up with anything.  Sourceforge, of course, has some
good stuff regarding Linux and barcodes but I haven't dug too deep there
either.

Any ideas?

Greg