[TriLUG] And the DNS again...

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jul 1 13:13:46 EDT 2004

Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> Brian Henning wrote:
>
>> ....and now it works.  So now my question becomes, what was that?
>> ~Brian
>> ----------------
>> Brian A. Henning
>> Strutmasters.com
>> 866.597.2397
>> ----------------
>>

> Okay, I should have read farther first.  :)  Wasn't expecting to have
> to look in a different thread.  Can you describe what DNS server you
> were resolving against that did not resolve irc.trilug.org?
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

Okay, I think I've figured out why this happened.  There is a stale
entry in the zone file for trilug.org pointing to an NS which does not
respond.  Under some circumstances, this could cause you to cache a
negative response from all the name servers that you know about (due to
TTL timeouts).  I'm bouncing it off the sys list to see if anyone knows
why that resolver should stay, and it should be resolved relatively soon.

Aaron S. Joyner