[TriLUG] configuring samba to authenticate thru AD

spain at ncssm.edu spain at ncssm.edu
Wed Jul 7 15:31:09 EDT 2004

I have RHEL 3.0 running on a server in a windows 2000 Active Directory
Domain.. I have samba shares configured now with user level security.. I'm
trying to upgrade that functionality to samba contacting an active directory
global catalog server to authenticate  users for access to shares.. I have
followed various online instructions, one stating that you first have to run
the ' net join ADS realm ' statement in order for the server to join the
Active Directory domain..

The ideal config is for samba to behave like other windows servers and make
sure only authenticated users from AD can get in..

Anybody come across this daunting task before?

Jamil