[TriLUG] looking to justify apache

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 7 23:10:56 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 20:31, Greg Brown wrote:
> I've tried google-ing but can't come up with something that screams
> "choose apache over IIS".  The argument can't involve security.  What
> would be perfect would be "...some of the busiest websites such as x,
> y, and z use apache".  It doesn't have to be scientific either.
>
> I could also use arguments for uptime.  Isn't there a webpage somewhere
> that documents uptime for the top busiest websites in the world and
> which webserver they are using?  I know I've seen this somewhere.. that
> would be excellent documentation to show in this proposal...
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Greg

Better virus protection. I'm not talking about known ones. I'm talking
about one of the thousands of new viruses that are created each year
(most of which seem to point out a new hole left in either Outlook or
IIS).

At my former job I ran Apache for all our internal servers. When a virus
attack began knocking the corporate IIS server cluster down - machine by
machine - I pulled one of my internal Apache servers, chucked it into
the cluster, and pushed our Web pages onto it. The cluster never went
back to IIS (at least not while I was there).

Better licensing model. Are you guys really paying your Internet
Connection License to use IIS on the Web?

More versatile. More programs/add-ons/modules/features than any other
web server in the world. It helps that Apache is standards based and
freely extensible. Heck, they can even run Apache on a Windows server
(heavens forbid!)

Easy (and free) backups and clustering for full recovery/redundancy of
your mission critical webserver.

Excellent logging and log analysis tools (free).

Hope these help - Jon Carnes