[TriLUG] help setting up Nextel BPL modem under Linux

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jul 8 14:36:46 EDT 2004

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> <details snipped>
>
>I did have something else planned this evening, but if I don't get this
>running this afternoon, I'll gladly come along. Will you be wearing a red
>rose in your lapel and hopping up and down on one foot? I'll bring my
>nextel modem, and plug it into your machine if that's OK.
>
>Joe

Well, I don't have any red roses, or lapels for that matter, but I can
hop if you like.  :)  In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't
setup my Nextel connection under Linux directly - what I have is a
802.11b access point in my car, which is directly connected to the modem
via Ethernet.  The AP leases a private address via DHCP and shared that
via NAT over the 802.11b.  I then use what ever I please (usually my
Palm Tungsten C) for wireless Internet access, any where near my car
(which is usually near my person).

We can certainly hook up your modem to my laptop and experiment with
routing - I'm running OS X on a PowerBook and we can take a close look
at the routing tables to figure out how things should be.  If we really
want to test it out on Linux, there's never a shortage of Linux
notebooks at the TriLUG meeting - I'm sure we can coax someone into
trying out Nextel Broadband.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner