[TriLUG] remote-mount of cdrom

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 9 22:36:19 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 21:33, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to remotely mount a CD drive.  My first thought was to mount it in
> home directory on remote server as ~/somecd/ and then use samba to mount it
> on the local machine.  It works, except the directory containing the cd shows
> up as empty.  On the remote end, the CD is readable.  A cruise through "man
> smb.conf" didn't give me any clues.  What's the best way to do this?
>
> It may suffice to just access the files, but it's a picky piece of software
> that's protected against copying, so it may want direct drive access.  I'm
> not sure what the difference is, but it's a Windows program running on
> Transgaming's software.  FYI, the disk in question is one I forgot to bring
> along with me on my month-long stay in NY, but I own it fair and square.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael

I use NFS for this - though it's not incredibly bright to do it across
the internet, I can't see any harm from just NFS mounting the CD...

http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/nfs/nfs_nis_automount.txt

Another alternative is to simply copy the whole ISO as an image and then
mount the image locally via Loopback.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes