[TriLUG] Re: Contents of TriLUG Digest, Vol 12, Issue 7 - Message 3

Michael Prorock mfproroc at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 10 11:47:29 EDT 2004

On Wed,  7 Jul 2004 12:00:07 -0400 (EDT), <trilug-request at trilug.org>
wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:23:19 -0400
> From: Matt Frye <mattfrye at gmail.com>
> Subject: [TriLUG] Streamlined distro build for laptops and
> workstations

>    I am looking for information and people's experience in getting
> any particular distro/hardware combination to install on a laptop or
> workstation such that a non-IT customer would say it "works" for them.
>  Before people start foaming at the mouth, let me define what I mean
> by "work."  In this context, "work" means "do work," as in a business
> desktop OS, spreasheets, web with java and flash, etc.  Stuff people
> want.
>     I have been able to acheive that balance and efficiency with
> Linux, but not without having put a lot of time and energy into it.
> Too often, getting a new Linux build to "work" is an exercise in
> configuration and debugging.  Reconfig and debugging is obviously not
> something that everyone has the time or desire to do, so I'm looking
> for best case suggestions.  Obviously, configuration often depends
> upon requirements, but I'm looking for the closest thing to that
> "configuration utopia."
>     I've heard good things about Mandrake, but haven't tried it yet.
> Fedora is no where near what I need and RHEL aint exactly free.  I am
> doing this for my nonprofit that will serve other nonprofits, so cost
> is key, but I need to strike a balance between low cost and
> functionality.
>     Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Matt

Matt,

I've had quite a bit of experience in this regard, only recently having
moved from the status of broke college student to broke starving artist,
having therefore to get the most out of the least.

Most recently I convinced my boss to leave his dear, "user friendly" win2k
system for linux.  It has been an absolute success, only after he stopped
cussing long enough to sit down and think about how to press a different
icon to get to his porn.  The bigest trick is showing stubborn people the
fact that just because linux works differently (and better, I might add)
than windows, that that doesn't mean it doesn't work.  There are more than
enough ways to "user friendly" a system up, that is, make it handle such
that windows/non-computer people (ah - the blasphemy ;) ) can use it
effectively, with as little cussing as possible.  As I alluded to, the
biggest difficulty is not with getting the software right, but getting
people to change their way of looking at, and interacting with, a
computer, i.e. to drop their M$ endowed, pre-concieved notions.  Not only
is this the biggest drawback keeping linux from going as mainstream as it
could, but the biggest problem with peop... Sorry, tangent.  Now back to
the real thing.

Initially, to ensure as little downtime as possible, I went with a
mandrake install - it is as user friendly as windows, if not a little more
so, and the hardware detection and auto setup tools are marvelous, - the
difficulty is, that unless you have decent hardware, it tends to want to
do just a little too much for you, and has a tendency to run even slower
than win2k.  As I write, I am working on the gnuwly modified (as of last
week) system.  Mandrake gone. Slow.  Debian (albeit a selective install)
here to stay.  If you're looking for speed, stability and the ability to
modify a systems packages to work on almost any hardware with the least
amount of downtime and compiling I highly recommend it.  All but 3 of my
systems are running Debian (the servers run woody, the desktops sarge, and
the other three consist of 1 AIX box, and 2 gentoos).  This is not to
incite a useless and possibly morally wrong distro war, only to say what I
have had the best luck with over the years in keeping systems running fast
and well on wide varieties of hardware, used for wide varieties of tasks,
and used by people with varying degrees of computer expertise (usually
lack of it).

	What makes the system usable for my boss is the barest of configuration
tweaks (I must reiterate -  he is  NOT a computer person), WDM for login,
WindowMaker/GnuStep for his window manager, Opera as the mail client,
OpenOffice, and XMMS.  These are all launched from locked dock icons, and
the only other things available on his desktop are a docked clock and cpu
monitor.  Opera treats him as well, if not better than outlook, and solved
his frustration of initially attempting to deal with kmail and evolution.
Despite the apparent attractiveness of gnome it turned out not to be the
best choice for a number of reasons.  1) It offered to many choices of
things to do, 2) It resembled windows just enough to really confuse him,
3) Too clunky for many older, but still in use, workplace desktops.
WindowMaker, in contrast, offered better configuration options, plus speed
on any system faster than a 486, plus its relatively small amount of hard
disk usage.  Despite the oldness and slowness of the machine (IBM 300pl,
PII, 400mhz, 256mb ram, bogomips 764.62), it is far more useable than it
ever was under windows, finally, and with no more complaints from him
about the box not working, being too slow, or giving him the blue screen
of death like a new york driver gives the finger.  I have compiled a
custom 2.4.6 kernel for the box, which made a very noticeable difference
over the stock kernel.  If you wish, rather than eat up too much space
here, I can send you some of my package selections, and possibly throw a
couple shell scripts your way to install Woody/Sarge in as user friendly a
manner as possible, along with the window maker config scripts that I
use.  Currently I'm working on my own distro that is oriented solely
towards the graphic design community (macs, anyone?) so the I understand
the issues you raise, and their validity.

As for laptops, I even have a useable configuration based off of sarge on
my ancient pI166mmx Thinkpad.  If that's not stretching the life of a
system I don't know what is.  Very usable for browsing, coding (not really
compiling), minor word processing (abi-word comes to mind), and updating
our website.  On and old as dirt machine (my first linux "box," I still
can't quite let it go) this is more than acceptable.

If you would like some more detailed help that would not be of direct
interest to the group, feel free to e-mail me.

Michael Prorock
mfproroc at bellsouth.net