[TriLUG] OT: Help with Bounding Boxes?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Jul 14 09:32:31 EDT 2004

Hi,
  Anyone know lots about the bounding box on a marquee html element?  My
boss wants the scrolling text on his web page, but at the text size we're
using, the underhanging portions of letters (I forget the technical term...
the tails on ys and ps, for example) are being cut off.  The strangest part
is that on a coworker's 800x600 display, they look fine.  However, on all
the 1024x768 displays in the building, it's chopped.  Is there a CSS
directive I can use to make the clipping region taller so that the letters
don't get clipped?  I tried simply "height" but that didn't seem to help.  I
tried adding vertical-align: top; but that made it worse.

Help please?  And don't tell me "don't use marquee!"  It's not my choice...

Thanks,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com