[TriLUG] updating qt libraries

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Jul 15 10:20:32 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 10:48 pm, Scott Miller wrote:
>   There's a program MuseScore that I want to try, but it requires qt
> 3.3.0+ (3.3.2 recommended). And my Mandrake 10 machine has qt version
> 3.2.3. Is it pretty much out of the question to try and update these
> libraries? Seems like qt is a part of KDE and would wreck KDE if I tried
> to update it. Or I better off just waiting until the next Mandrake release?

I have been doing some QT development at work, and I have not had
any problems with multiple QT libraries installed.  I would think that you
could install the new QT libraries in /usr/lib alongside the old ones.  You
can play with the links to ensure that you're always getting the right
ones.  Really, it all depends on whether MuseScore is asking for
"libqt-mt.so.3" or "libqt-mt.so.3.3" or "libqt-mt.so.3.3.2".  I would guess
from your post that it is looking for "libqt-mt.so.3.3".

In my /usr/lib:
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 -> libqt-mt.so.3.2.3
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.2 -> libqt-mt.so.3.2.3
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.2.3

Perhaps you could install the new 3.3.2 library as /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.2
and then create one link /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3 -> libqt-mt.so.3.3.2.

If this scares you, you might try this instead...

Install the new QT libs in some local place like $HOME/new_qt.  Then
when you run MuseScore, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
"$HOME/new_qt:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" before running.  At run time,
the loader will find your new libraries first. Normal KDE apps will still
find the old libs first because their LD_LIBRARY_PATH has /usr/lib
listed first.

Alan