[TriLUG] Re: USB keychains and private keys

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 15 11:30:29 EDT 2004

I know someone else already mentioned it, but I use a 128MB drive and
partitioned it into 2 partitions. The first is a vfat for use with
windows and the second is ext3. I store my key on the second partition.
The drive will show up as a SCSI drive, most likely /dev/sda. Backup
everything currently on it, then run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and repartition.
Works like a champ.

This method has the added benefit of a little security through
obscurity. If someone gets their hands on the drive, they'll most
likely stick it in a windows machine and they'll never see the second
partition. Please notice I said a LITTLE security, it is very little.

Ken