[TriLUG] File rename utility

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 09:38:23 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 09:10, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Gang:
>
> I have a large archive of ... files, some of which contain special
> characters in their names. While this seems to work fine on Linux and
> OSX, I do have to make this collection of ... files available to
> Windows users.
>
> I need an easy way to:
>
> A) find all files names with special characters (some sort of regex for
> only A-Z, a-z, and 0-9 should do the trick)
>
> and preferably
>
> B) have an automated way to rename the files, changing a ç to a c for
> example.

If you are making these files available via Samba, I believe that Samba
actually has a setting in smb.conf that automatically advertises files
using a standard translation for odd characters. It also forces new
files (saved via Samba) to be named safely.

Not much help, but a direction to look in.

Jon