[TriLUG] File rename utility

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 16 09:56:12 EDT 2004

I think this type of solution might introduce more problems than you think,
once you implement it.
For example, what should be done if there are duplicates?

Might I suggest an alternative...

Could you copy all the files to a filesystem which
a) is understood natively by Windows
b) supports long/"internationalized" filenames.

Can you Joliet these?

You get the "convert the filenames" for free, don't have to
worry about name colissions, etc.

The downside is you get all the other baggage Windows is famous for,
but I suspect you're already encumbered by this through your users.