[TriLUG] Any NAS recommendations: Linux & Windows in harmony

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Sun Jul 18 16:44:21 EDT 2004

There's only one thing that gives me pause, the Database you mentioned.
Generally speaking, databases such as Oracle, MS SQL, etc, don't perform
well when they are on network mounted device.  If you have a server type
system that has the database, then users connect via JDBC, ODBC, etc,
it'll be a lot better.  If they are using this database for the kind of
money that you allude to then I would look at this part with a very
critical eye.   You say that you are using SMB now, no issues with it?
What is the system, a Windows machine?  If you can use a server based
database, then the snapshots aren't as bad, because you control all of
the parts, shut down the database when you need to to snap it to another
set of disks.

I know, many folks will say that they work just fine, and for many
instances they will, on a network device, but when things go south, many
a software vendor will tell you "it's the network".  You and I both know
that most of the time it isn't, but.....

I don't think that you will get out of this "on the cheap" if you want
the kind of performance and reliability that you talk about.