[TriLUG] grub and lilo problem

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sun Jul 18 22:55:47 EDT 2004

William Villalba wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your reply...That is the problem I am having, however, I do
> not think that the system is an "old one." This is precisely what I do
> not understand, since both motherboard and processor are, as far as I
> know, capable of reading large disks--the motherboard is an Intel
> D865GBF and the processor is also an Intel P-4.
> A bit frustrating...but, thanks so much anyhow...

One Wild Flaming Guess(tm), coming right up!

How is this drive partitioned?  Is the kernel in the first cylinders?
Does LILO boot with LILILILILILILI?
It's a common problem to create a single partition, which is
significantly large, such that the kernel ends up beyond the 1024th
cylinder on the disk.  The net result being that LILO is unable to boot
to the disk.  The generally practiced solution is to have a /boot
partition, which lives at the beginning of the disk, and contains the
kernel.  You can create a symlink from /vmlinuz -> /boot/vmlinuz for
convenience, as needed.

Although, with GRUB, this problem should magically disappear, as it
understands the file systems and can chase the file where ever it
actually is, regardless of disk geometry.  Can you be more specific
about what errors you get, or what happens when Grub can not boot your
system?

Aaron S. Joyner