[TriLUG] Converting Unix mailboxes to Outlook pst format: batchmode

Jaimie Livingston jaimie at trilug.org
Fri Jul 16 18:26:30 EDT 2004

I am assuming that you have been given the unwelcome task of migrating a
UNIX mail system over to M$ Exchange or OpenExchange. If not, ignore
me...

I struggled with this question for a long time and then gave up. You
might be able to find some tools that could help you at
http://www.slipstick.com/.

IMHO as a past Exchange admin, I agree with Jon. Setup and migrate the
existing mbox accounts to IMAPv4, then direct the users to use Outlook
2000 or 2002 to copy the mail they want to keep from the IMAPv4 mail
folders to their Outlook Mail folders. Set a realistic, hard cutoff date
for users to retrieve their mail from the UNIX mailserver, then turn off
mail services on it. Keep backups, of course.

This will push the user's to do the bulk of the work themselves. All you
have to do is create the Exchange accounts and manage the user's. If you
can get buy in from management at the beginning, you can even head off
those those lazy user's who "forget" or "didn't have time" to drag and
drop their mail folders from the IMAP folders into their Exchange MAPI
Mailbox folder.

If you need to sell the process, calculate how much time you are
spending trying to solve the process, add that to how much time it takes
to migrate a typical users mbox to pst multiplied by the number of
users, and calculate a dollar amount based on your per hour salary
(year_salary/2080).

My $.02.

Jaimie