[TriLUG] grub and lilo problem

William Villalba wllmvillalba at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 19 00:40:59 EDT 2004

Hi Aaron,

The error I get is just "Grub"...and nothing happens, and changing the
settings in the bios the best I got was "Grub" then something like
"starting grub please wait..." but stays there and nothing
happens...With  Lilo, it just prints the letter L and that's it, nothing
else...
I thought about the 1024 issue and create a /boot partition, but the
realized that as long as windows takes over the first partition it would
not work. I changed it and as I say in my original message I tried
installing Linux first, but now windows cannot get installed.  Here is
my partitioning scheme I have tried:
1. The first attempt was:

/dev/hda1   ntfs   40gb   primary
/dev/hda2   ext2   120mb  primary
/dev/hda3   ext3  38gb  primary
/dev/hda4  swap 1.2gb logical

2. My second one:

/dev/hda1 ext2  120mb for boot
/dev/hda2 ext3   40gb for  /
/dev/hda3  ntfs  for  windows
/dev/hda  swap 1.2 gb

The first scheme worked for windows, but neither lilo nor grub were able
to boot. The second one, grub was able to work, but windows did not even
got to the second stage...

Thanks Aaron...