[TriLUG] Apache 2 not recognizing index.html with mod_perl / RT

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jul 19 15:09:54 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 15:02, Matthew Todd wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 14:41, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > Alias /rt /usr/local/rt/share/html
> > PerlModule Apache::DBI
> > PerlRequire /usr/local/rt/bin/webmux.pl
> > <Location /rt>
> >     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
> >     SetHandler perl-script
> >     PerlHandler RT::Mason
> > </Location>
>

> Hi, Jeremy, any chance that the following applies?
>
>   Quoting http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html#alias:
>
>   In particular, if you are creating an Alias to a directory outside of
>   your DocumentRoot, you may need to explicitly permit access to the
>   target directory.
>

> It would be a little curious if it did, since you say "Options +Indexes"
> also opens up the directory. That turning on auto-indexing for a
> directory would imply "Allow from all" seems a little fishy to me...

I don't think this is it, as the file itself works fine with or without
Options +Indexes, e.g. the following works:
	http://server.example.com/rt/index.html
But the following does not work:
	http://server.example.com/rt/
The latter either returns the 403 (with Directory Index Forbidden by
Rule), or if "Options +Indexes" is set, it shows the directory index.
Neither of these should happen because it should be displaying/executing
index.html instead!

However, I did verify that the behavior is correct in other places, such
as the server root itself http://server.example.com/, and in other
arbitrary locations that don't have mod_perl hooks set up.  But I don't
understand why mod_perl should make a difference in whether or not
index.html is executed.

--Jeremy