[TriLUG] Any NAS recommendations: Linux & Windows in harmony

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Mon Jul 19 20:58:06 EDT 2004

Don't build it yourself.  Linux is cool, but you need something that's
bulletproof reliable, tested as such, and supported.  Talk to the big
boys of NAS.  NetApp, EMC, IBM.

The rest of this is pulled out of my protein-based memory, and as such
should be double checked before being taken as gospel.  Especially the
"foo does bar" statements.  Invite the vendors, let them razzle dazzle
you.

NetApp uses a file system based on LFS (Log-based File System.)  LFS
excels in writes because it treats the entire drive as one giant log.
Writes are always in the next available segment, and until you reach
80% full, most writes -- even large ones -- don't require the drive
head to move.  Very very fast.  At 80% full the system spends a huge
amount of time trying to coalesce segments together to free up space.
Very very not fast.

For database support, look for something that can export the raw disk
device.  NBD is the way Linux does it.  iSCSI is another option with
some support out there.  Databases that can use their own partitions do
so because they can improve their speed if they can assume that logical
sequential blocks are (most likely) physically sequential.  More true
for raw block devices than for file systems.  NAS vendors offer raw
disk exports to support this.  Bring your DB guys into the vendor
meetings.

NetApp and EMC support what they call "snapshots."  I think IBM does,
too, but talk to their sales rep about it.  Snapshots take a moment in
time and say, "This is the state of the disk at this time."  Takes
maybe 20 seconds to snapshot the disk.  Subsequent changes are diffs
based off of that snapshot.  When you go to do a backup, you backup the
latest snapshot which will be stable and quiescent.  Zero down time,
clean backups.  You might not need this level since you're dealing with
short bursts of intense activity with lots of slow time in between.

For each directory, NetApp (IIRC) adds a .snapshot directory which has
the snapshot versions of the files.  If a user accidentally deletes his
file, he can cp the latest snapshot out without bothering the admin.
Users can't write or delete files in the .snapshot directory.  Other
vendors have their own ways of doing this.

A few bits on NAS boxen:

1. Everything is a bottleneck.  Fiber Channel, GigE, PCI, even main
memory.  Compute the total I/O the box can do, compare it to the memory
bus speed.

2. More drives does not have to mean more space.  More drives means
more spindles which means more disk throughput.  (See bottlenecks
above.)

3. Bigger drives means more space.

4. FC switches are expensive.  And for good reason.

5. More main memory means more cache.  At 4TB drive space the best you
can hope for is 4G RAM to 4TB drive space.  You have 0.1% cache space.
At 6TB...  (Oh, and the OS and services have to fit in there, too.)

6. Good things are redundant, which is good.

jf