[TriLUG] OT: Word to the wise about e-mail blocking on RR

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Wed Jul 21 19:22:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 14:32 -0400, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
> Joseph Tate wrote:
>

> > Also, don't many spam and viruses have their own smtp servers, and
> > therefore bypass any relayhost completely?
>
> Most do, but the ones that don't cause dramatically more problems for
> the ISP than those that do.  If you relay your Spam to them, they're
> very likely to get blacklisted on various RBLs - causing them an
> enormous headache and terrible PR.

Like the random yahoo groups servers which get blacklisted
intermittently on RBLs like spamcop.net. Or the sourceforge lists you
can't sign up for because your isp has the server blacklisted so you
can't get the confirmation e-mail. Things like that made me set up my
own mail server so that I could receive all my mail so that I (well
actually spamassassin) could decide whether it was spam or not.

> > My outgoing capabilities will be restored tomorrow, and it's only a
> > minor inconvenience (for me).  Just hoping someone else can learn from
> > my mistake.
>
> Now if only those that learn, would be the virus-writers, spammers, and
> other miscreants of the web.  If they'd stop this child's play, such
> measures wouldn't be necessary.

Sigh! It's an ugly world out there, and we all suffer a bit of
collateral damage in the spam wars.