[TriLUG] RHAS---300gig?

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Thu Jul 22 14:36:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:09:41AM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> To give credit where credit is due, Jason Tower was the one who
> suggested Knoppix.  But I agree it's cool and I would have suggested
> this too expect he beat me to it.    However, if you'll read the rest of
> this thread you will see that the OS only seeing "286 Gigs" vs "300 Gig"
> is due to using different units.  :-)  It's fully expected, and a way to
> minimize confusing would be to use the GiB unit designator instead (read
> my post.)

It's also marketing non-sense intended to get a bigger number on the
box.  RAM manufacturuers never quote in 10^3 units, developers never
quote in 10^3 units and the drives themselves have 512 byte sectors
(2^9) not 500 (5 x 10^2) byte sectors.

KB, GB, etc. are well defined in the industry.  HD manufacturers ignore
it because they can and not be technically lying.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org