[TriLUG] NFS performance issues

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Fri Jul 23 06:32:48 EDT 2004

I have a problem at work, and I'm digging around for thoughts, here's
the deal.

AIX 5.1 system exports /tmp/whatever to the world, unrestricted.

2 Windows 2003 servers with MS Services for UNIX NFS clients mount that
export.

Performance is absolutely unusable.

Here's what I have done about troubleshooting.

- Another AIX system can mount that same exported file system, and
performance is just fine.

- A Windows 2000 system can mount a Linux export with the same SErvice
for UNIX stuff and performance is just fine

- The systems are all 1 hop on the network apart

- The network guy is looking at all of the port settings, etc today

I don't control the AIX system to get a lot more info, but the admin is
a good guy, basic NFS installation, no tweaking.

Anybody got any thoughts that don't include lighting the Windows systems
on fire?  ;-) The app requires them.

Thanks!

	Kevin

If you never see anything that offends you, you aren't living in a free
society

Kim Campbell - Former Canadian Prime Minister