[TriLUG] Installation question

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Jul 23 17:15:31 EDT 2004

Christopher Blackmon wrote:

>I've got an old Sony Vaio PCG-C1 subnotebook computer
>that I'd like to install linux on.  The problem is
>that I don't have a floppy drive nor a cdrom drive for
>it.
>
>I can, however, remove the hard drive, and connect it
>to another computer.  (Right now I've got it in a USB
>case connected to another laptop).
>
>Is there anyway to do this?
>
>thanks,
>Christopher.

>Vote for the stars of Yahoo!'s next ad campaign!
>http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/yahoo/votelifeengine/

It's certainly possible.  Have a look at the LinuxFromScrach (LFS)
project - because of the nature of how the project works, it's done in
the way you describe.  There are other possibilities for getting that
box up and running, but none are quite as well suited to your
situation.  The most obvious other two scenarios that come to mind are
to dd a Tom's Root/Boot disk onto the drive, boot it in the laptop, get
a network connection up and running, and then use that to bootstrap your
way into running one of the distro installers.  Or - to do an entire
full install to that hard drive (with it in another computer) - and then
simply swap the drive back into the notebook and deal with adjusting the
config for hardware changes, as necessary.

Best of luck,
Aaron J.