[TriLUG] Installation question

martyferg at nc.rr.com martyferg at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 16:49:50 EDT 2004

Christopher Blackmon

YES, YOU CAN!

This is based entirely on the assumption that you
A) have a computer with about 3GB of free space on
a network connection, and also that
B) you can connect your sony to the same network.
---------------------

Here is how.

1) File copy all of your RH distro CD-ROMs into a single directory on a "server".  Make sure the file system.... like /RH91... has enough space to hold everything.

2) Bring up NFS on the "server" and export the
 directory where you glommed all of the distro files

3) put  your install disk/diskette/whatever into
the bare box and boot it up

4) startup an install.  Tell the installer that rather than installing from local media that you'll be installing from over the network.  Simply provide the IP of the "server" and the path (/RH91) of the
NFS exported filesystem.

5) Complete the NFS install.

If you have lotsa bandwidth and a decent server,
your install will be FAR SPEEDIER than installing directly from  CD-ROM media.  Of course, you've already paid the time penalty when you spent an
hour doing file copies of the distro disks onto the server's /RH91 filesystem.

Have fun, Christopher Blackmon!
Marty