[TriLUG] Linksys Wireless Access Points

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Mon Jul 26 11:36:08 EDT 2004

> > Friends don't let friends use cheap wireless junk.  Copper rules.
> > 802.11 is not ready for prime time unless you live out in the sticks
> > with no interference.
>
> I've pretty much had it with LinkSys WAP11s. I've had 3, they need power
> cycling about every day to unhang them and then they die permanently.
>
> How much money to you have to spend for a SOHO style WAP that will stay up
> for months, years?

[JR>] my copper stays up 100% of the time with no reboots, boot code flash
or dependency on venus and mars alignment.  Me thinks the 802.11 problem is
more related to neighboring interference and less related to brand.  The
only real success I have ever had with 802.11 is with two small
manufacturing plants using a bridge with highly directional antennae.  With
only 1 reboot of the bridge in over a year, I'd say it has worked
flawlessly.  Of course, the bridge costs $1200, though.  I'm done with cheap
stuff.